GIANT PLEURAL TUMOR AND SEVERE HYPOGLYCEMIA: DOEGE-POTTER SYNDROME IN A PREVIOUSLY HEALTHY FEMALE
Introduction: Doege–Potter’s syndrome is a rare paraneoplastic syndrome, consisting in hypoglycemia and solitary fibrous tumor of the pleura. These tumors represent <5% of all pleural tumours and can only be cured by surgery. In this article, we report a case of a patient presenting with severe hypoglycemia, as the only symptom, and a mass occupying the entire left hemithorax.
Case presentation: A54 year old female with severe hypoglycemia, a chest radiography with almost total opacification of the left hemithorax and a computed tomography scan with a mass in the left hemithorax. Surgery was performed and a mass with 30cm × 18cm × 11cm weighing 3195g was resected. The postoperative course was uneventful with immediate resolution of the hypoglycemia. The immunohistochemistry diagnosis was solitary fibrous tumor of the pleura.
Conclusions: Solitary fibrous tumor of the pleura are very rare. Less than 5% are associated with hypoglycemia, taking the form of Doege-Potter Syndrome. Radiation therapy and chemotherapy have shown low response rate and complete surgical resection is the only procedure that offers cure. This case reports describes a rare giant solitary fibrous tumor of the pleura with severe hypoglycemia, successfully treated by surgery. Long-term follow-up of the patient after the surgery is necessary for detection of any possible recurrence.
- Fengwei T, Yalong W, Shugeng G, Qi X, Juwei M, Yousheng M, et al. Solitary fibrous tumors of the pleura: A single center. Thoracic Cancer 9 (2018) 1763–1769.
- Furukawa N, Hansky B, Niedermayer J, Gummert J, Renner A. A silent gigantic fibrous tumor of the pleura: case report. J CardiothoracSurg 2011;6:122–6.
- Walid AA. Solitary fibrous tumors of the pleura. Eur J CardiothoracSurg 2012;41:587–97.
- Perna V, Rivas F, Morera R, Saumench J, Ramos R, Macia I, et al. Localized (solitary) fibrous tumors of the pleura: an analysis of 15 patients, Int. J. Surg. 6 (2008) 298–301.
- Raafat E, Karunasiri D, Kamangar N. Solitary fibrous tumour of the pleura presenting as a giant intrathoracic mass, Case report. BMJ Case Rep 2017. doi:10.1136/bcr-2017-220695.
- Davanzo B, Emerson R, Lisy M, Koniaris L, Kays J. Solitary fibrous tumor. TranslGastroenterolHepatol 2018;3:94.
- Perrot M, Fischer S, Bründler M, Sekine Y, Keshavjee S. Solitary fibrous tumors of the pleura, Ann. Thorac. Surg. 74 (2002) 285–293.
- Perrot M, Fischer S, BruÃàndler A, Sekine Y, Keshavjee S. Solitary fibrous tumors of the pleura, Ann. Thorac. Surg. 74 (2002) 285-293.
- Groot JW, Rikhof B, Doorn J, Bilo HJ, Alleman MA, Honkoop AH, Graaf WT. Non-islet cell tumor-induced hypoglycaemia: a review of the literature including two new cases. EndocrRelat Cancer, 2007, 14(4):979–993.
How to Cite
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.